One festival, many neighbourhoods
The 23rd Annual Winter Solstice Lantern Festival
Wednesday December 21, 2016
The dance of the sun and earth has inspired celebrations of the human spirit, expressed through art and music, throughout the ages. Honouring many cultural traditions, the annual Winter Solstice Lantern Festival illuminates the darkest night of the year with lanterns, fire, singing, drumming, music and dancing!
Come celebrate this free community event with a glowing constellation of lanterns shining in four Vancouver neighbourhoods. Wherever you wind up, we hope you feel connected to your community and to the universal spirit of celebration!
- FIRE PERFORMANCES - In response to public feedback, we have moved the traditional fire performances to later in the evening. There are no fire performances at 7:00 PM; instead Granville Island and Yaletown will each host a Fire Finale at 9:30 PM.
- GRANVILLE ISLAND - Processions follow the traditional routes beginning at 6:00 PM. Indoor activities take place in Performance Works (Labyrinth of Light) and the False Creek Community Centre from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM. A procession leaves False Creek Community Centre at 9:15 PM and heads to the Fire Finale that takes place in Ron Basford Park at 9:30 PM
- YALETOWN - The traditional processions from the Aquatic Centre or Cooper's Park have been cancelled. One procession leaves the Gathering Place (609 Helmcken St.) at 6:00 PM and heads to the Roundhouse. The Roundhouse hosts indoor activities from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM, with a small lantern procession leaving the Roundhouse on a short mystery tour from 8:00 - 8:30 PM. The Fire Finale takes place on the Roundhouse Turntable at 9:30 PM.
- STRATHCONA - Following the traditional lantern workshop at the Strathcona Community Centre from 4:00 - 6:00 PM, the lantern procession leaves at 6:00 PM and goes to our NEW LOCATION in McLean Park for a one-hour mini-festival from 6:30 - 7:30 PM.
- CHINATOWN - Performances, events and lantern displays take place in the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden from 6:00 - 10:00pm.
Secrets are continually revealed. Please stay tuned for more info in the coming days.
A free family event, with some ticketed venues. Suggested donation of $5/person gratefully accepted.
If you love this festival, please write and tell us what the Winter Solstice Lantern Festival means to you. Your letters are more important than you know - not only do they touch our spirit, they are included in every grant we write to illustrate how deeply art touches the lives of so many.
To ensure the festival returns each year please also write to our partner Community Associations to thank them directly for their continued participation. Your voice is essential!
Artistic Director, Secret Lantern Society
Click here to learn more about the science of solstice.
Read this CBC News article by Maryse Zeidler: Condo development prompts eviction of popular Vancouver lantern festival