One festival, many neighbourhoods
The 24th Annual Winter Solstice Lantern Festival
Thursday December 21, 2017
The dance of the sun and earth has inspired celebrations of the human spirit, expressed through art and music, throughout the ages. Honouring many cultural traditions, the annual Winter Solstice Lantern Festival illuminates the darkest night of the year with lanterns, fire, singing, drumming, music and dancing!
Come celebrate this free community event with a glowing constellation of lanterns shining in three Vancouver neighbourhoods. Wherever you wind up, we hope you feel connected to your community and to the universal spirit of celebration!
- FIRE PERFORMANCES - Last year we broke with tradition and moved the fire performances to later in the evening, to great success. So this year again, both Granville Island and Yaletown will each host a Fire Finale at 9:30 PM.
- GRANVILLE ISLAND - PROCESSIONS: 1) Due to seawall construction the procession from Leg-In-Boot Square is cancelled; 2) Procession from Vanier Park will run at 6:00 PM as always. 3) Granville Island procession begins at 6:00 PM starting from Ocean Artworks on Johnston Street (not at Triangle Square as in previous years). 4) Following indoor activities, the final procession leaves False Creek Community Centre at 9:15 PM and heads to the Fire Finale in Ron Basford Park at 9:30 PM. INDOORS: Activities take place in both Performance Works (Labyrinth of Light) and the False Creek Community Centre from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM.
- YALETOWN - PROCESSIONS: 1) A procession leaves The Gathering Place (609 Helmcken St.) at 6:00 PM and heads to the Roundhouse. 2) The traditional processions from the Aquatic Centre or Cooper's Park have been cancelled. 3) Following a lantern-making workshop at the Roundhouse, a lantern procession heads into David Lam Park from 8:00-8:30PM. INDOORS: The Roundhouse hosts indoor activities from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM. The Fire Finale takes place on the Roundhouse Turntable at 9:30 PM.
- CHINATOWN - Performances, events and lantern displays take place in the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden from 6:00 - 10:00pm.
- STRATHCONA - Workshop and events have been cancelled this year.
Secrets are continually revealed. Please stay tuned for more info in the coming months.
A free family event, with some ticketed venues. Suggested donation of $5/person gratefully accepted.
If you love this festival, please write and tell us what the Winter Solstice Lantern Festival means to you. Your letters are more important than you know - not only do they touch our spirit, they are included in every grant we write to illustrate how deeply art touches the lives of so many.
To ensure the festival returns each year please also write to our partner Community Associations to thank them directly for their continued participation. Your voice is essential!
Artistic Director, Secret Lantern Society
Click here to learn more about the science of solstice.
Read this CBC News article by Maryse Zeidler: Condo development prompts eviction of popular Vancouver lantern festival